The International Changemaker

The Student News Site of EF Academy

The International Changemaker

The International Changemaker

Celebration for the Seniors While The Future Awaits

A group photo of the Boys’ Basketball team. Photographed by Jimmy Tsai, January 31st 2024.

As the winter sports season comes to an end, the EF Academy Boys’ basketball team played against the Animo City of Champions Wildcats on January 31st. As it was this season’s last home game, the boys ensured the game ended well. Walking off the floor with a 48-34 win against the Wildcats. As it was also the Boys’ basketball senior night, the two seniors, Akito and Louis, celebrated their graduation from the team Wednesday night.

“I’m excited and well-prepared, and I have the confidence to win tonight’s game,” said Louis on Wednesday afternoon, just 2 hours before the game. “I don’t care about how much I am aiming for; the main focus is on the team. If the team wins, I win.”

Louis, making in a 2-point shot, had his career-high 7 points on that night.

“I am excited for tonight’s game. It’s the last home game for this season, which is also the senior night. I am glad that both Akito and Louis have experienced playing basketball matches in the USA. As they graduated from the team, I am also looking forward to this team’s future,” said Coach Roy before the game started. When asked about how well he knew the Wildcats, Coach Roy replied, “They are also a newly established basketball team just like us, so if everyone plays their role well, I believe we can win tonight.”

The ceremony before the game celebrates the two seniors’ graduation. Photographed by Jimmy Tsai, January 31st 2024.

The Wildcats had their biggest lead (5 points) in the first quarter, but the EF Academy’s boys started their pursuit and ended that quarter with a 2-point lead, and never let the Wildcats’ score pass theirs for the rest of the game. Lots of students and faculty members also came to watch the last home game, letting the spirits rise higher than ever before.

“Yesterday’s game ended with a very happy result. There was one time that we were playing in a 2-point match, and I decided to call a timeout to let the boys regroup and also rest for a while. After that timeout, the boys extended the game to a 14-point lead, clutching the win last night,” said Coach Roy the next day during lunchtime. “We will be facing the Webb Schools tomorrow, which is a tough opponent, but we will make good use of the last practice taking place this afternoon, making sure the team is well-regrouped, and try our best tomorrow.”

“I felt great about yesterday’s game, although I wasn’t feeling well, I still tried my best to help the team win the game. Tomorrow will be a tough match, but if we do our best I believe we can win that game,” said Akito on Wednesday.

Akito, one of the two seniors, tossed the ball into the basket. Photographed by Jimmy Tsai, January 31st 2024.

The last game for the Boys’ Basketball team will take place on February 2nd at the Webb Schools. Let’s wish the team all the best in their last game of this school year, ending the boys’ basketball season without any regret.