The International Changemaker

The Student News Site of EF Academy

The International Changemaker

The International Changemaker

Life Drive: Community Club Hosts First Blood Drive at EF Academy

Promotional poster for the Life Drive blood donation event, organized by EF Academy Community Club in collaboration with the American Red Cross.

The EF Academy Community Club is hosting a life drive on April 17th, from 8 am until the end of the school day. This event, organized in collaboration with the American Red Cross, will take place in classrooms 111-112 at Strong Hall.
The aim of the drive is to address the pressing issue of blood shortages. “A single donation can save up to three lives! We’ve worked hard as a club to provide our community with the opportunity to help those in need and make a real difference,” shares Margo Uruma, the Community Club representative.

Blood donation equipment set up for the annual blood drive at the high school (American Red Cross Organization)

Those interested can show up on the day, or fill out an interest form that will be available soon. “The process is quick, simple, and safe. American Red Cross volunteers will collect approximately one pint (500ml) of blood during each 10-minute appointment. All necessary precautions are being taken to ensure participant safety, and we’ll provide snacks afterward,” highlights Margo Uruma, an EF Academy sophomore.

Eligibility Criteria:

For international students:

• Have lived in the US for over 3 years;
  • AND are over 17 years old.

For US students or locals:

• Are over 17 years old;
  • OR are under 17 with parental permission.
A student making a donation at the annual high school blood drive in Gretna High school . (American Red Cross Organization)

In preparation for the blood drive, students should ensure they’re in good health.

For those who are unable to donate but still want to help, you can support by spreading the word or volunteering on the day. “We’re targeting all those eligible and willing to donate. We are primarily relying on juniors, seniors, and faculty members,” Margo explains. Let’s unite as a community and contribute to this life-saving cause. Remember, your donation could save up to three lives!