The International Changemaker

The Student News Site of EF Academy

The International Changemaker

The International Changemaker

Y2K Cultrue’s Influence on Gen Z

Bella Hadid seen wearing a Y2K tracksuit top in London

The Y2K style trend rose, fell, and then, after 20 years, came back stronger than ever. The fashion not only reminds many people of their younger days but also of the 2000s aesthetics itself as a significant part of world culture.

The early 2000s saw youthful designers, like Alexander McQueen at Givenchy and John Galiano at Dior, challenge the conventional ideas of fashion by incorporating youth culture into their designs like Matrix-esque looks, dominated with the use of black, low-rise or flare jeans. This era contributed significantly to the unique aesthetic of the time. This also attracted new capital and attention to fashion firms that had been in decline.

The trend has gained massive attention among Gen Z, while also being nostalgic for millennials. Posts and videos of people dressing or discussing this trend can be found on TikTok and other social media.

Bella Hadid seen wearing nike tracksuit in New York in 2021 (Gotham/GC image)

For stylish items influenced by the 1990s and 2000s with a focus on responsible consumerism, Gen Z is searching for vintage and second-hand shops as well as online marketplaces like Depop or eBay. As an illustration, Diesel, a style mainstay of the 2000s, has returned, embracing the adoration of Gen Z for grungy, metallic, low-rise styles. We can also see the return of glossy lips, spiky buns, and fish-eye or digital cameras.

Maximalism is also a key element contributing to Gen Z’s Y2K culture. Layering and accessorizing are the two main stylistic choice examples, and it is not hard to see the growth of these two tendencies. Wearing leg warmers, arm warmers, vests, and subversive essentials such as interesting cutouts, sheer fabric, and artful layering, for instance, allows for the display of intriguing layers. Accessorizing with caps and massive, colorful plastic jewelry.

In addition to Gen Z’s love for the trend, many IT girls such as Bella Hadid and Beabadoobee are supporting this trend which increases its popularity worldwide.

Overall, to start your Y2K collection, some advice is to focus on reasonable consumption by making your own clothes, buying second-hand clothes and making them new, or just diving into your parents’ closet.