The International Changemaker

The Student News Site of EF Academy

The International Changemaker

The International Changemaker

EF Academy Defeats Oakwood High School in a Stunning Upset

James Ritten
Pre-Match huddle. December 4th, 2023.

On the 4th of December, the EF Academy team defeated Oakwood High School, a varsity team with distinguished soccer skills.

Unfortunately for EF Academy, many of the team’s players were absent from the game, due to rule violations during previous games and health issues. This left only 11 players of movement and 1 goalkeeper to face Oakwood

It was a challenge for EF Boys Soccer, but the players did not seem to be afraid to face it.

“This game was a great test that our guys faced with effort, head-on, fearlessly, and with a desire to win.” Coach Kyle

The field before the game. December 4th, 2023. (Piermatteo Di Paola)

The game kicked off with incredible intensity, with both teams trying to take control of the game. EF Academy demonstrated remarkable technical ability, while Oakwood asserted its physical strength. The first half was characterized by fast changes, masterful dribbling, and spectacular saves by both goalkeepers. At the end of the first half, the score remained 0:0.

The match’s highlight came in the second half when EF Academy managed to break the stalemate with a penalty gained by James Ritten and executed by Piermatteo Di Paola.

After this goal, the Oakwood players tried pressing and fast passes, while EF Academy tried maintaining ball possession and executing long passes for the attackers.

EF Academy’s strategy proved more effective in the end with EF scoring two more goals from James Ritten and closing the game with a final result of 3:0.

“Despite the challenges we faced, we approached the game with determination. This victory is a testament to our team’s spirit,” said Pedro Hamada, EF Academy Soccer Player.

As the referee’s whistle marked the end of the game, EF Academy celebrated the victory, while Oakwood School showed sportsmanship in congratulating opponents.