The International Changemaker

The Student News Site of EF Academy

The International Changemaker

The International Changemaker

Pooki Loves EF’s New Pet Policy

Chloe Mckinley
Pooki sticks out his tounge. Fall 2023.

This year EF Academy has changed the rules to allow pets on campus for staff. As a result, a lot of staff have chosen to get pets. Last year staff were not permitted to have pets on campus, but this year, the rules have been updated and now staff are allowed to house pets on campus. There is even a therapy dog in the health center.

Chloe Mckinley, one of the houseparents at EF Academy, has been working at EF Academy for two years. Chloe now owns a 2-year-old French bulldog, named Pooki. She got him about three months ago at the end of summer, because she heard about the rules changing and has wanted a dog since last year.

Pooki being cute. Fall 2023. (Chloe Mckinley)

Chloe is only one of many staff members here on campus this year with a pet. She says that “it is easy taking care of pets on campus, and there are many promising areas for them to get air.”
Chloe even sometimes walks Pooki on campus, and she says, “The campus is so beautiful, Pooki loves it.”

Pup cup. Fall 2023. (Chloe Mckinley)

When asked why she got Pooki she replied, “I knew I needed a pet because working full time and living on campus gets lonely, I needed a change.” Chloe also says that living on campus with a pet is easier than she thought. When she doesn’t have time to take care of Pooki, her coworkers and friends look after him. She practically shares Pooki with houseparent Emma.

As for Pooki, he prefers walks off campus instead of on campus, and even though there are other pets on campus like the therapy dog, and even a cat, Pooki prefers a solitary life.